Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"Lift Every Voice and Sing"

As I watched Obama become the first Black president of the United States today, my mind was mostly on our ancestors. I wore an Obama shirt today for the first time, but nobody saw it...Instead, I wore another shirt over it (one the UCI Afrikan Student Union gave me a couple years ago) that has pictures of Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, and Nelson Mandela on the back, because it is truly on their shoulders we all stand. It also has a quotation from Dr. King that summarizes the message of the day:

"Make a career of humanity...and you will make a greater person of yourself, a greater nation of your country, and a finer world to live in" - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.


Although I've never been very sentimental, the inauguration today was a moment in time that means more to me than I can probably ever fully express. Aretha..seeing Muhammad Ali and the Tuskegee Airman, and..all...the...people...united in spirit.


Here are a few links I want to share:

Obama Sworn in as 44th President


Picture Slideshow =
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/gallery/2009/01/20/GA2009012001607.html?sid=ST2009012000033


An Inauguration for the Ages

The Nation.

LINK to MUST SEE PICTURE:
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090202/key?rel=hp_currently



I also fully appreciated the understanding that Obama demonstrated in his speech. I know many may not have heard what they wanted to hear, but I think if we listened, we heard what we needed to hear.

But my favorite part of the day by far was the benediction given by Reverend Lowery. I am extremely grateful to him for including words from the Black National Anthem in his prayer today. And, you gotta love how he ended it :-) Real Hip Hop...Keepin' it real...at all times!



Dr. Joseph Lowery delivers Inauguration Benediction for Barack Obama


LINK = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pEH37JIgBU






The struggle continues....and it should.

No comments: